Volleyball Information Sheet
Basic Volleyball Hits
· Bump – Used to pass the ball to a teammate. Hands together; keep arms straight; bend your knees, do not swing your arms; contact ball with the flat part of your forearms.
· Set – Used to set up a teammate for a spike. Create a triangle with your hands, elbows out, bend you knees, use fingertips, and pop the ball up in the air.
· Spike – A ball which is hit from above the net in a downward manner, into the opponent’s court.
· Underhanded Serve – Keep the ball at waist level, do not toss the ball, step with your opposite foot, and contact the ball with the wrist area of your arm.
· A team consists of 6 players on their side of the court at one time. Player positions are: right front, center front, left front, right back (serving position), center back, and left back.
· All players must be on the court during the serve, except the server.
· After the serve, all players are allowed to go out of bounds to hit the ball.
Playing the Game
· A point is scored on every play / serve; and a score is worth 1 point.
· The ball is served by the player in the “right back” position, and they will continue serving the ball until their team fails to score a point.
· When one team loses their serve it is called a “side out” and the other team will rotate positions and then they get to serve the ball.
· You only rotate when you win your serve back (which is a side out); and your team will then rotate one position in a clockwise direction.
· Before each serve, the server will call out the score of the game by saying their team’s score first, followed by the score of the other team. So if your team has 2 points and the other team has 1 point, you would say “2 to 1 service,” and then serve the ball.
· 3 hits are allowed on each side, but no more than 3; and a team can hit the ball less than 3 times per side.
· A game consists of 25 points, and you must win by 2.
· A match consists of 3 games to 25 points. The team who wins 2 out of 3 games wins the match.
· The ball can touch the net at any time and still be in-play.
· A player can not touch the net or go over the middle line at any time during the game.
· The same person can not hit the ball twice in a row.
· The service line is 10 yards away from the net, and the server must stand behind this line.
· A foot fault occurs when the server steps on or over the service line.
· The sidelines mark the left and right sides of the court, and they are 10 yards apart.
· All lines are “in,” so any ball that hits the line is considered good or in-bounds.
Volleyball Vocabulary Words
USING COMPLETE SENTENCES, please write down the definitions or meaning of each of the following terms listed below. You may use the “Volleyball Information Sheet” but you do not have to copy word-for-word.
Side out –
Foot fault –
Service Line –
Underhanded Serve –
Number of Players –